Lightened Up Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Nutrition Highlights(per serving)
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Includes 1g Added Sugars||2%|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Prep20 min, Cook45 min
Craving this classic baked eggplant dish but wish it had fewer greasy and cheesy calories? With a few smart swaps, you can get a serving down to just 300 calories.
This flavorful and satisfying recipe highlights the healthy attributes of the old-school version and the crispy breadcrumb topping makes it a new-found family favorite. Cooked tomato products like tomato sauce are higher in the inflammation-fighting antioxidant lycopene, plus cutting back on fried foods (such as traditional eggplant parm) can help reduce inflammation.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 12 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place eggplant slices on a sheet pan.
- Brush with a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and oregano.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until just tender.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place a tablespoon of marinara sauce in the bottom of a square baking dish and spread to lightly coat the bottom.
- Place four pieces of eggplant in the dish and top each with a large spoonful of sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers 2 more times with remaining eggplant, sauce, and cheese.
- For the topping, combine remaining olive oil, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Evenly distribute the breadcrumb topping over the top of the layered eggplant.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted, bubbling, and topping is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve topped with torn basil leaves.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
If you crave eggplant parmesan with ricotta cheese, make a mixture using ¾ cup part skim ricotta cheese and ¾ cup part skim shredded mozzarella and use that in place of the 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. The calorie count will end up pretty much the same.
Video: Baked Eggplant Parmesan Recipe | Clean & Delicious
The Skinny on Fat
Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 56 – Key Colour: Green
7 Things You Didn’t Know About Cecelia Ahern
Badgley Mischka Pre-Fall 2019 Collection
How to Peel an Orange
Top 7 Best Thickening Shampoo For Men – From Thin To Thick
25 Timeless Yet Trendy All-White Wedding Cakes
How to Identify Plastic Rice
How to Request Training As a New Manager
How to Take Nugenix