How to Style a Denim Skirt
Denim skirts can be a cute addition to your wardrobe. Skirts come in all shapes and cuts, so choose a cut that's flattering on you and appropriate for the occasion. Pair the skirt with a top that works with the look you're going for. Add some accessories, like a scarf or boots, and enjoy a fun denim look for the day.
Choosing a Style
Determine your cut based on body type.Denim skirts come in a variety of sizes, so choose a cut that's flattering to your body type. Different cuts look better on different builds. While you can experiment at home or in the store, here are a few rules of thumb to help:
- Form-fitted skirts work great if you have a slender figure or hourglass figure.
- A high-waisted, shorter skirt looks great for an apple figure.
- If you have a pear figure, go for an a-line skirt.
Wear a pencil skirt for formal occasions.You don't have to rely on body type alone to choose a skirt. The occasion matters as well. A pencil skirt is a skirt that wraps around your frame, accentuating your curves. It's a little tighter than other types of skirts.
- Pencil skirts usually fall around the knee area, although some are slightly higher or lower than others. You can pick a length you're comfortable with.
Try a maxi skirt for more coverage.If length is an issue, try a maxi cuts. These skirts usually go down to your feet. This can be an excellent choice if you're wearing a skirt to an establishment that has rules about length. If your school or office, for example, requires longer skirts, go for a maxi skirt.
Go for a faded or frayed skirt for something informal.Denim skirts are often made with faded fabric that is sometimes even frayed on the end. If you're looking for something very casual, with a bit of an edgy vibe, a faded, frayed skirt can be great.
- Faded fabric may have a lighter wash overall. Other faded fabric may be dark in certain places, but faded in patches here and there.
Try skirts with embellishments.If you want your skirt to be the central focus of your outfit, look for a skirt with a lot of embellishments on it. Denim skirts may have embroidered patterns, beads, frayed ends, or patterns like plaid. An embellished denim skirt can be great for a bolder look.
Look for special features.If you want something unique, look for a skirt with special features. You could try going for a cute, feminine look with a pleated skirt. You could try a skirt with a slit on the side or front if you want to show off your legs. For a slightly edgy look, consider a distressed denim skirt.
Picking out a Top
Try a denim top for a bold look.Denim on denim is noticeable. A denim top of a similar color to a denim skirt can make for a bold, if somewhat quirky outfit. This can be great for a night out if you're looking to get noticed.
- If you're doing a denim-on-denim look, remember your outfit itself should be the focus. Minimize makeup and accessories to highlight the look.
- Having the same type of wash makes for a fun, matching outfit. However, there are no strict rules. You can experiment with two different washes if you prefer.
Wear a button-down blouse for a dressier occasion.Denim can be read as casual. If you want to add a formal flare when wearing denim somewhere like the office, pair a denim skirt with a button-down shirt. A classic button-down shirt, especially one worn with a longer denim skirt, can really give off a formal vibe.
- For example, pair a black button-down shirt with a denim pencil skirt for a cute office look.
- For very formal occasions, it may be a good idea to tuck in your blouse.
Try an oversized sweater for something casual and cozy.To give off the casual and cozy vibe, pair a denim skirt with a big, oversized sweater. This makes for a cute look that also keeps you warm.
- A sweater can be paired with a longer skirt, especially on a colder day when you may want more coverage. However, you can also create some variety with texture by pairing a short, lighter denim skirt with a big sweater.
Tuck a t-shirt into your skirt to highlight your frame.If you want something casual, but form-fitted, wear a simple t-shirt with a high-waisted denim skirt. Tuck the shirt in to highlight your waste for a cute denim look.
- This look works for a variety of occasions. Graphic t-shirts can look great for a casual look, while form-fitted tees can give off a classic, semi-casual look.
Pair your skirt with a blouse for a feminine look.If you want to add some feminine flare to the denim skirt, opt for a feminine blouse. Pick something with embroidery, sequins, or a floral pattern to give your denim outfit a cute, feminine vibe.
- A feminine blouse can be great both for an office setting and a night out. It can be a great look if you plan to get drinks with friends after a day at the office.
- A wide variety of blouses can be paired with denim. You can try tucking in a flowing peasant top so it billows over the skirt slightly. A blouse with a Peter Pan collar can work for a cute, preppy look.
Layer with jackets or cardigans.Jackets or cardigans can be great to wear over denim, especially if you're wearing a lighter top. This can add some dimension to your look and serve to keep you warm if you're wearing denim during the colder months.
- For example, if you're wearing a t-shirt with denim, throw a leather jacket or light cardigan over the shirt for the day.
Try sandals or flats for a casual look.As denim is generally more casual, sandals are appropriate footwear for the warmer months. During cooler months, a cute pair of flats can be paired with denim for a casual look.
- For example, wear a short denim skirt with a tank-top and sandals for a beach day.
Pair the skirt with boots for a more formal look.Boots are a slightly more formal accessory that work great for the cooler months. You can pair denim skirts with knee-high boots or ankle boots. Dress boots can work if you're wearing denim to the office.
Wear a scarf.Thicker denim is often a staple of the colder months. A scarf can keep you warm and add a cute accessory to your look. You can pair a big, clunky scarf with a lighter top to balance things out. You can also pair a skinnier scarf with a heavy sweater.
- For example, wear a sweater with a denim skirt and wrap a thin, light scarf around your neck.
Cinch your skirt with a belt.If you want to use denim to highlight your figure, cinch your denim at the waist with a belt. This can be especially great if you're wearing a high-waisted denim skirt with your shirt tucked in.
- Any variety of belts work, but a thicker belt is more attention-grabbing. If you want to call a lot of attention to your waist, go for a big, thick belt.
Video: HOW TO STYLE : A Denim Skirt + Look Book
Are you treating your hair properly Haircare just got personal
The Outlander Season 4 Trailer Is Here, So Gird Your Loins
How to Write a Prenuptial Agreement
14 Rude Things You Didnt Realize You Were Doing At Holiday Parties
A third of women buy clothes they’ll never wear
Natural Alternatives to Petroleum Jelly
How to Support the National Immigration Law Center
How to Build an Iguana Cage
How to Avoid Beef Bacterial Contamination
Ben Ketola on Bowling a Perfect Game in 86.9 Seconds
How to Spot a Weight Loss Scam